Elopements have evolved over the years. No longer are they trapped in a drab courthouse! So, in this post, I share some spectacular locations for a Georgia adventure elopement. What you’ll find in the post below is that you now have endless options to make your day your day.
Your elopement can certainly be filled with the kind of adventure you and your partner love.
If you two cherish being outside, crave the rush of outdoor activities or the beauty of outdoor places, and want to create an experience around your declaration of love then definitely keep reading!
GEORGIA WATERFALL ELOPEMENTS :
Are you looking for an epic waterfall backdrop to your outdoor elopement? I might be biased, but I highly recommend a waterfall elopement in Georgia 😉
Here are 3 top Georgia waterfalls to elope around, under, or in front of…
- Dicks Creek Waterfall- Available year-round, this fall would be a marvelous choice for your Georgia adventure elopement. This waterfall is located in the National Forest near Dahlonega, GA. This would be an ideal location for just you and your partner or even a small crew (10 or less). Another key point, with only 100 yards of uneven walking to the falls, it is an accessible option for your elopement.
- Helton Creek Falls- Located in the Chattahoochee National Forest. Thanks to Georgia’s *typically* good climate, this waterfall location is available all year (unless snow or ice.) This is a two-for-one special on waterfalls…the lower falls is a great location for a smaller group (6 or less), while the upper falls has a deck that can hold 15 guests. To get to these falls, there is a 3-mile drive on a small gravel road to parking and a 200-yard walk to the falls, so keep that in mind if you choose this location.
- Minnehaha Falls- This waterfall is located in Lakemont, GA and near Lake Rabun. If you’ve got a crew, this one’s for you! Up to 15 guests can comfortably attend your outdoor adventure elopement here! This location does require a less easy hike into the falls on uneven terrain for a quarter of a mile, so I don’t recommend this if you or a guest has mobility issues. You can easily get into the water, though, so imagine how fabulous & fun those photos would be if after your vows, you hop under the waterfall!
** I wanted to mention Toccoa Falls. Despite Tocca Falls being a beautiful waterfall, it is located on a religious college campus and is anti-LGBTQIA+. With a direct call to Toccoa Falls, this was reconfirmed in May of 2022. Because of this, if you are a part of the LGBTQIA+ community or an ally, I would love to help you pick a better choice for a waterfall experience.
STATE PARK + HISTORICAL RUIN ELOPEMENTS:
Maybe when dreaming of your Georgia adventure elopement you imagine being surrounded by trees with the beauty of a state park. If so, this list is for you! Georgia is home to many incredible state parks and some awesome historical ruins, here is a list of just a few to get you dreamin and schemin.
And, the bonus? Many state parks offer easier and low cost permitting for weddings, so you still get an amazing venue, but without the ginormous pricetag of a traditional venue!
- Amicalola Falls State Park + Lodge– Only 1.5 hours away from the chaos of Atlanta and on the cusp of the North Georgia Mountains, Amicalola Falls is a peaceful haven. Despite being so close to the city, this 700-foot waterfall provides a magical setting for a small wedding of 10 people or less. It’s accessible and surrounded by true adventure opportunities. Think: hiking, ziplining, waterfalls, and so much more.
- Pssst—want a fully accessible family event at the Falls, but long for a unique and beautiful adventure for you two after? Consider adding hiking-based private vows with a hike to the Len Foote Hike Inn for a beautiful over night stay. This unique adventure to the Inn will give you sunset & sunrise views galore, and option for relaxation, or, a day excursion to the famed Springer Mountain!
- Cloudland Canyon- This is one of the largest and most scenic state parks in Georgia. It is located right outside of Chattanooga, TN. Unquestionably, there is tons of nature to see at Cloudland Canyon: deep canyons, sandstone cliffs, waterfalls, creeks, and dense woodlands. More importantly, there are adventure opportunities galore: hiking, mountain biking, disc golf, fishing, and horseback riding. To summarize, if you and your partner want all the outdoor activity around your adventure elopement, then this is a great choice! Plus, there are some super fun accommodations, too!
- Tallulah Gorge State Park- This spectacular canyon is 2 miles long and almost 1,000 feet deep and is located in Tallulah Falls, GA. Not only are there incredible hiking spots along the rim of the canyon, but also you can get a permit ($100) to hike the canyon floor. The hiking paths do lean towards strenuous, so make sure your guests (if you have them) are able to safely reach the destination.
- Wormsloe Historic Site-There is a stunning live oak tree-lined avenue that would make for incredible photos, if I do say so myself. The avenue leads to the tabby ruins which are the oldest standing ruins in Savannah, GA. Given that, If you’re into history, this would be an amazing location for your outdoor elopement!
- Providence Canyon State Park- Providence Canyon is known as the Little Grand Canyon of the South and can provide that western vibe with the orange soil, while remaining in the charm of the south. This park is located in Stewart County, Georgia. There are tons of quiet nooks in this canyon that can deliver you a very intimate setting for an elopement.
BEACH ELOPEMENTS IN GEORGIA:
Are you wanting a beach elopement? Have you considered the beaches Georgia has to offer? Here is a little list of some of the best beaches for a Georgia adventure elopement (AND, for some awesome Just Us adventures for you two after!):
- Driftwood Beach and Jekyll Island– The famous beach is covered in enormous driftwood pieces that make you feel like you’re on some other planet of unknown creatures. This beach is located on the south end of Jekyll Island, and requires a parking pass to get onto the island.
- Once on the island, you are welcomed by ten miles of white sand beaches, fishing, golfing, horseback riding, dolphin tours, nature centers, and incredible shelling. Imagine if you ended your vow experience with your new spouse, your loved ones, and a dolphin tour?!!
- Main Beach, St. Simons Island- St. Simons’ beaches are a must see! St. Simon is the largest of the Golden Isles with miles of sunny beaches, a rich history, countless activities, and amazing historical ruins. Imagine embracing the slow island life as the way to enter into your new life together? Sounds spectacular.
- Tybee Island, Savannah- This island has white sand beaches and bright blue water, as well as Georgia’s oldest and tallest lighthouse.
- Thinking about your elopement, maybe start your day at the beaches by the Savannah River, with swimming and a chance to see dolphins! Afterwards, end the night at Tybee Creek’s Back River Beach to see those jaw-dropping sunsets. Beautiful options await!
APPALACHIAN TRAIL + NORTH GEORGIA MOUNTAINS ELOPEMENTS:
Have you ever imagined getting married on the Appalachian Trail? Okay, maybe you haven’t yet. 😉 But, take a look at the options below, and you’ll truly be SO stoked the idea popped up on your radar!
Imagine this… Firstly, you start your day with a pack full of future memories as you hike down the trail. Your hike leads you to one of the incredible overlooks the trail has to offer. It is there you share your vows with the one you love. Lastly, the day could end with camping on the mountain or with wine tasting back in town.
Due to the need for hiking and the smaller size of overlooks, these mountainous locations would be a great choice for a more initimate elopement (2-8 people).
Remember, if you have anyone with mobility issues within your group, you need to be mindful about your choice for accessibility. There are options, just do your research! (Deep location research is included with all elopements I book, so I can help you find accessible spots👍)
Here are some beautiful–and not too burly!–summits:
- Blood Mountain (4 to 16 mile hike)
- Tray Mountain (5 mile hike)
- Cowrock Mountain (2.2 mile hike)
- Preachers Rock (1 mile hike) This is one of the shortest day hikes with a breathtaking destination. This would make a stellar sunrise session. A sunrise session would leave an entire day filled with adventure, celebration, and joy.
GEORGIA RIVER + LAKE ADVENTURE ELOPEMENTS:
If water sports or water-based views are more your style, then I recommend incorporating that passion within your wedding day. Sunny lake days are one of a kind fun as is, but what if it was also your wedding day?!
Here are some Georgia rivers & lakes that would make spectacular locations for an outside adventure elopement:
- Chattahoochee River Corridor– There are 48 miles of the Chattahoochee River which you can kayak, canoe, and use small motor boats on. The Chattahoochee River Corridor has hiking and biking paths and hiking trails all around the river. Did you know there’s even some rock climbing in the area too?!?! This would be the ultimate elopement day!
- Lake Lanier– This is the largest lake in Georgia. It’s located in North Georgia, about 60 miles from Atlanta. This lake is almost 700 miles wide and is popular for fishing, boarding, camping, and endless other water activities. There are campgrounds to stay at, beaches to play at, and over 38,000 acres to explore.
- Lake Chatuge- This lake is located on the border of Georgia and North Carolina and is in the southern Appalachian Mountains. Because of its location, this lake is perfect for boating, fishing, skiing, swimming, camping, and plenty of secluded coves to explore. There are 132 miles of shoreline with swimming beaches, playgrounds, and picnic tables.
FLEXIBLE LOCATION ADVENTURE ELOPEMENTS IN GEORGIA:
Before I end, I wanted to share two of my favorite companies that can help you embrace the outdoor magic that Georgia has to offer.
With these companies, you can take your adventure elopement to a number of beautiful and unique spots to elevate your experience away from the norm!
Why pick just one location? (shout out to you VanLifers or those into nomad experiences!) You can pick a combination of all the above and make it one Grand Georgia Adventure Elopement Tour.
Start on the Appalachian Trail with an incredible day of hiking and watch the sunset from your home on the road! After that, roll south, and have a classy dinner in Atlanta and enjoy a hotel stay at hip hotel (with great city views!), and then roll on down for a stay on the coast at Tybee Island. Your Georgia adventure elopement gets to be what you want.😀
- Outshine Adventure- Thinking about heading to North Georgia and/or Tennessee? This is a queer-owned, women-led company that makes sustainable outdoor experiences possible for all people is an absolute favorite of mine.❤️ They offer some amazing eco-tours and outdoor experiences near Chattanooga (only ~2.5 hours from ATL, and closer to some North Georgia elopement locations!) that you should definitely check out to make your wedding experience special.
- Outshine also has awesome converted vans for vanlife that you can rent to stay in and travel around for a perfect elopement experience!! They come FULLY STOCKED with everything for your comfortable on road living (think plates and cups, kitchen kit, hot running water, a Dometic refrigerator, bedding, and even camp chairs!).
How about something that’s not in motion, but a great accommodation AND fun adventure elopement experiences all rolled into one?!? Try glamping!
- Timber Line Glamping- Timber Line Glamping has super cute glamping options all over North Georgia and within some of the state parks. They provide a beautiful mix of comfort and outdoor adventuring, and are a brilliant choice for a low-key, Just Us Two style of elopement experience.
I want to leave you with this…
Without a doubt, these nature elopements are one of a kind special. They are an incredible experience of exchanging vows and declaring love…but are also so much more. Whether you’re wanting :
- An one epic day experience to embrace something beautiful and different for your wedding…
- A well-balanced two-day elopement experience to balance family needs and still soak in the full adventure…
- OR, a longer, adventure & celebration-filled experience…
…there are SO MANY amazing locations to choose for an outdoor adventure elopement in Georgia.
Your options are endless.
Mind whirling on location options for YOUR adventure elopement, and not sure where to start? No matter your where you are with planning, or even just in ideas, reach out to start planning! I can’t wait to hear all about your dream elopement ideas!